United Home Insurance Company began as an un-incorporated farmer’s mutual fire association in 1914. Four years later on August 10, 1918, forty-four members agreed to incorporate the association and Farmers’ Tri-County Mutual Fire Association of Paragould, Arkansas, Inc. was formed.
In January of 1929, the Company changed its name to Farmers Home Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and in 1947 converted its plan of operation from a farmers’ mutual association to a legal reserve mutual. This conversion and the new Articles of Incorporation were approved by the Insurance Department on April 22, 1947 with an effective date of July 1. The Articles of Incorporation authorized the company to write fire, tornado, hail and allied lines of insurance and to cede and assume reinsurance.
In January of 1978, Farmers’ amended its articles of incorporation to provide the company with authority to write casualty insurance in addition to property insurance.
The amendments were approved by the Insurance Department on April 14 of that year.
Farmers Home Fire Insurance Company of Paragould, Arkansas merged with United Home Insurance Company of Newkirk, Oklahoma on November 30, 2007. Farmers’ Home was a legal reserve, stock company domiciled and licensed in Arkansas. United Home was licensed in Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma and, prior to the merger, was domiciled in Oklahoma. The new entity became United Home and was re-domiciled in Arkansas.
The corporate headquarters of United Home are now located in Paragould, Arkansas.